Monday, November 12, 2012

Zombie Apocalypse: We Need a Plan!



So, what do YOU think’s gonna happen when the zombie apocalypse hits?

I’ve been thinking about this my whole life, watching every movie I can get my hands on (Netflix is a bloody modern miracle!) and reading books and graphic novels and watching TV. It’s gonna happen!! I can feel it! During the day, I go about my business—I do have a day job after all if you wanna call it that (more about that later!) but at night, when it’s dark and especially in the summer when it’s hot and sticky and the windows are open, I lay awake thinking about zombies. And vampires. And werewolves. Oh, yeah! I can scare the crap out of myself just thinking about them. What’s really gonna happen? Where will I go? WHAT WILL I DO?

Well, a few months back while hiding under the covers after an especially gross zombie movie, telling myself that zombies don’t really eat brains (Uh huh, right!),  I came up with a really cool idea: If I write the story, I can make the zombies do whatever I want! Yeah! I can come up with a plan to survive; I can figure out how to save my family—even my squirrelly little cousins! And I can chase down that gnarly little skank from seventh grade, the one who said my pink hair was retro, and have a little imaginary fun with her. I wouldn’t kill her off. No, that’s no fun! But I could stand inside my electrified, fortified zombie-proof compound and watch her run in circles! And then I’d let her in, I guess. Cool!

So I began to channel some of that fear and anxiety into a story. A zombie story! (My therapist would be so proud!) And then with my big mouth and my warped imagination, it turned into a book and then another one and now I’m working on a third! I have a tough time with the gore and the brains and the body parts so I’m writing a story that’s different. Well, a little different, anyway. I like the idea of more suspense, less blood, smart girls who know how to scream and run without falling down, and a couple of hunky heroes thrown in for good measure.

I keep thinking that this zombie/vampire/werewolf thing is gonna end someday soon, but it’s been going on for as long as I’ve been alive! So, here’s the deal. I’m thinking that maybe it’s time I get out from under the covers, throw on my pink high tops, and join in.

My name’s Regina Mors. My friends call me Reggie. I write zombie love stories. (And no, the zombies don’t fall in love, the people do. Jeez! I’m not that weird!) I’ll be checking in from time to time to talk about the scary stuff that haunts my dreams. I hope I’ll see you around.
                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment